Thank you for your interest in employment at Smoky Hills Public Television. All job openings are posted here when the position becomes available. Each posting lists the qualifications and procedures for application and a deadline for submissions.
Smoky Hills Public Television
The General Manager position oversees all aspects of the operations of Smoky Hills Public Television, a community licensee public television station, which serves central and western Kansas. Under the general supervision of the board of directors, the general manager has the administrative responsibility for carrying out station operating policies set forth by the board. This is a fulltime salaried position with benefits. Preferred start date is August 7, 2017 or as soon as practicable thereafter.
● Bachelor’s degree or extensive experience in Communications, Journalism, Film, Broadcasting or other relevant discipline
● Management experience including direct supervisory experience
● Experience working with and for a Board of Directors
● Budget management
● Ability to work both independently and as a team with staff and volunteers
● Excellent organizational skills
● Excellent communication skills including writing, verbal and presentational skills
● Flexibility in work hours (occasional evenings and weekends)
● Ability to travel and hold a valid driver’s license
● Knowledge of public television programming
● Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations as it applies to noncommercial television stations
● Demonstrates success in fundraising in the nonprofit setting
● Knowledge of major and planned gift cultivations and solicitations techniques
● Knowledge of social media and the continuing transformation of public media
● Experience in setting objectives, developing plans, and implementing projects to achieve goals
Duties and Responsibilities
● Carry out the operating responsibilities and policies as set by the Board of Directors
● Collaborate with the Board of Directors to implement a strategic plan to meet the expectations of the SHPTV consumers
● Cultivate a positive work environment and collaborate with the staff members and volunteers of the station
● Establish a visible presence in the communities SHPTV serves; including marketing SHPTV’s services and value in central and western Kansas to community leaders, donors, potential donors, and area legislators
● Maintain and encourage constructive relationships with other public and commercial broadcasters in the region
● Represent SHPTV to PBS, CPB and other regional and national organizations
● Manage all sources of revenue for the station, including membership and underwriting
● Meet and develop relationships with donors and potential new donors of the station
● Meet and develop mutuallybeneficial partnerships with businesses and other entities
● Personally develop new sources of revenue for the station
● Manage human resource functions (either directly or through department managers) of the staff, including conducting regular performance assessments
● Oversee the financial status of the station including developing long and short range financial plans, monitor the budget and ensure internal controls are in place to reduce financial risk
● Support the Board of Directors by attending all board of directors, community advisory board and board committee meetings along with helping prepare the agenda and board meeting packets
● Timely respond to all inquiries and complaints from board members, community advisory board members, staff, viewers, and donors.
● Develop and maintain oversight of an annual budget
● Supervise the station’s activities and maintains compliance with all appropriate laws, regulations, and grant requirements
Smoky Hills Public Television’s mission is to provide the region with programming and services that nourishes our curiosity, enriches our lives, and makes Kansas a better place to live and work. For over 34 years now, Smoky Hills Public Television (SHPTV) has been striving to follow that mission in central and western Kansas. SHPTV provides programming to over 14 cable operators in 194 communities in this region along with direct broadcast satellite through Dish Network and DirecTV. With our four transmitters, our signal reaches into 70 counties, including the cities of Hutchinson and Wichita, offering programming to over 1.2 million potential viewers.
Smoky Hills Public Television was named KAB NonMetro Station of the Year last October. Our station is proud of our local productions (over 50 hours produced each year) and our Literacy Leadership project where we provide books to children who may not have very many to call their own.
The operating budget of SHPTV is approximately $1.6 million. There are 12 full time staff members and 2 part time staff members.
Submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.